Trailers may be attached insofar as
- the permitted total mass of the trailer does not exceed 750 kg or
- the permitted total mass of the combination amounts to no more than 3,500 kg.
The minimum age for obtaining a Class B driving license is 18 or, in the case of accompanied driving, 17. Possession of a different class is not required. The driving license is valid for 15 years, whereas the permission to drive is unlimited. Every new driving license-holder receives this for a two-year trial period..
Training may commence six months before reaching the minimum age. The theoretical test may be taken at the earliest three months before the respective birthday, the practical test at the earliest one month before the respective birthday.
Legally prescribed minimum extent of theoretical instruction:
- 14 double lessons, each of 90 minutes; 12 units of basic instruction + two units of class-specific instruction.
Legally prescribed minimum extent of practical special driving units:
- 5 lessons each lasting at least 45 minutes on primary or country roads and
- 4 lessons each lasting at least 45 minutes on motorways or similar roads and
- 3 lessons each lasting at least 45 minutes in twilight or at night.